The Chronicle's Prologue

Go down

The Chronicle's Prologue

Post by Barbaros on 17/9/2018, 16:45

It is the year 1122 Isawa Calendar. You know that an imperial herald has visited the daimyo of your family and you burn with curiosity at the message brought from the imperial court. There are rumours flying around about the content of the message and you spend the idle times with friends speculating on which one strikes closest to the mark. Some say that it orders the clan to war and others say that it denounces the Crab Clan because the clan champion is free with the opinion that Hantei the 38th is a weak emperor. Others say that the Phoenix lost the Tao of Shinsei or that the Unicorn have returned to the Burning Sands and their lands lie empty.

Those are the outlandish rumours, good for a laugh and nothing more. The rumours that you believe are the ones talking about warnings regarding increased activity in the Shadowlands and the ones calling upon your lord to compete or send a contestant for one of the jewelled championships. Samurai who were on the road and recently returned say that imperial heralds are a common sight upon imperial roads this past month. Whatever the message is, it is delivered to many daimyos – perhaps all of them. Perhaps it is the same with the other clans as well.

When your lord calls you for a private meeting, you respond promptly, eager to serve and proud for the attention. Surely he has some duty for you, in recognition of your abilities and loyalty and you await patiently to hear about it. Your lord reveals to you that an imperial decree has arrived and it calls upon him to select a number of samurai and you are one of them. You are one of the samurai tithed by your clan to the Crab Clan and you receive the honour of serving on the Kaiu Wall for a period no less than five years.

Togashi Lei Kung is called by his lord, “The Mirumoto family sends their sons and daughters to be the pincers of the Crab for the next five years. Our clan also tithes seven times seven times seven monks of the Togashi Order. You wish to walk the breadth of the empire on your path of enlightenment. Walk then to the far side and tread the lands of the Crab. The mountains to the south are made of the same stone as the mountains of the north. The Kaiu Kabe is made of the stone of the mountains. One need not travel to reach a place that he already calls his own.”

Bayushi Soma is called by his lord to hear a message addressed to him personally by the Clan Champion, “The Crab invite us into their lands and their fortresses and their confidence. You are selected to honour the imperial decree that forces our clan to tithe a number of our samurai to the Crab Clan. Walk the stones of Kaiu Kabe, bleed on them but stay alive because dead you are useless to me. Remember that the real battle lies on the north side of the Kaiu Kabe. May the Fortunes be with you.”

Isawa Saoki is called by her lord, “You are chosen to represent the Phoenix on the Kaiu Kabe. I hail your courage and ask you to savour this unique opportunity that is presented to you to learn as much as you can. Our Kuni cousins walk a path planted with thorns and while you must avoid their excesses and mistakes, you may partake of their insight. Go and return to us stronger, wiser and proud for the service that you do for our Clan and for the Empire.”

You are handed your travelling papers and you’re given three days to get your affairs in order. Then you will begin the long journey to your new post.

Crom, I have never prayed to you before. I have no tongue for it. No one, not even you, will remember if we were good men or bad. Why we fought, or why we died. All that matters is that two stood against many. That's what's important! Valour pleases you, Crom... so grant me one request. Grant me revenge! And if you do not listen, then to HELL with you!
Barbaros

View user profile

Back to top Go down